Africa welcomed me back with a warm mist that swirled around the silver-winged bird that had been my home for 14½ hours. The lush green landscape below me quickly succumbed to the geometric industrialization of factory yards and planned, government housing. The white clouds disappeared in a brown atmosphere that hangs in perpetual suspension over Johannesburg. God had brought me safely across the Atlantic once again.
I shouldered my carry-on bags and pushed through the controlled chaos of a disembarking planeload and walked through the halls of an airport I have greeted several times before. God graciously kept His hand on all my bags; then through the doors and to the welcoming smile of Uncle Johan and Joreth. The drive ahead was still a long and warm run through sunshine and green fields and a sky that only Africa can display.
I dozed and woke, spoke and slipped into a dreamless sleep once again as we moved closer and closer to home. I was struck by a singular realization; Africa did not feel novel to me. Had I somehow changed; had the picture remained constant, but the lens altered? I was home and it felt right. No, she was the same Africa with her dazzling skies, endless plains, phantasmagoric rock shapes and ghoulish cliff faces. It felt good to be back.
The silent company of partially unpacked cases in the corner and the air thick with mosquitos, my family on three different continents and I am on one little piece of God’s brilliant canvas known as Fraaiuitzicht. It is night in Africa and time to sleep. The night sounds chirp and rustle outside the windows and occasionally the dogs burst into a cacophony of discontent with something outside their vision.
Today was my first day back at the school. It was good to see familiar faces and a joy to meet new ones as well. Hectic and a little hot and ultimately very satisfying and fulfilling; it has been a great couple of days. Delani visited the farm over the weekend and then had to leave Sunday afternoon to drive the 500+ kilometers to her home. It was great to get to see her, even for such a short while.
There is school tomorrow and sickness on the farm tonight. Please pray that the Lord preserve my body from the “bug” that is going around. I need to be at the school tomorrow. Well, the dogs really started up again, it could be a long night. Goodnight all and God bless you. Please keep me in your prayers. I’ll try to post pictures and perhaps a little video when I get a better internet connection.
Glad everything is going well :) You are in my prayers
ReplyDeleteI loved talking to you last night! Good to see you and know you are doing well. Love you!
ReplyDelete