Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I had a great day today; frenetic and fun. The students started off a little slow, but after a little jog and a little fun, they seemed to wake up and think. Today we had a lot of tests and other busy work, winding down to the end of the week. The school is based off a four day academic week (new from last time I was here) which means that Friday is a day set aside for extra-curricular activities (art class, p.e., etc.) which the government requires. What this means is that the days are very fast paced and on a tight schedule. This is actually nice since it makes the day go quicker.

I had several detentions today and so was there for awhile, grading papers and recording the information into the books and just doing the general admin that comes with the job. I was able to slip away around 3:30 pm, just in time to slip down to one of my favorite haunts, Living Life coffee shop. They were happy to see me and the hostess, Aunt Linda, and I just caught up and chatted. She couldn't believe that we had stores in the U.S. that were open 24 hours and you could just stop in anytime (Living Life closes at 4 pm).

I spent a little time running errands in town, jostling through crowded stores and dusty streets in the late summer heat. It was a warm, bouncing ride back to the farm where I did a little run with dogs and just relaxed. Well, enough play by play. I need to do some teacher "homework." Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. We love and miss you, Jeremy!
    I am so glad that you are safely there and that you are settling back into your life in Africa!

    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, one day we really hope to visit you there, friend. You make it sound like such a fantastic, magical land.
    By the by, are there any Starbucks locations anywhere near you?

    ReplyDelete