Sunday, August 7, 2011

a field trip to the farm...

This past Friday I had the privilege of taking my students as well as Mr. Kolobe's Lower Learning Center fourth graders to Fraaiuitzicht Farm for a field trip. The fourth grade curriculum has a project that requires them to visit a farm and to see how it works and why it works the way it does and then to do an in-class, group project. I was quite excited about it since I live on said farm and enjoy farm work and appreciate the struggle that it is to be a small, family farmer like my friend S.W. So, since I had recently taken care of his cattle in the evenings while he was doing mission work in Zambia, I thought I had the leverage to ask him a favor. While riding on the combine with him the one evening after school, I asked him if he would be willing to play teacher and he acquiesced to my request.

So we loaded up the students and took them to the farm to get a taste of what being a farmer was like. They were thrilled to be in the great outdoors and just not to be at school in general. S.W. showed them what we fed them in the winter and how and why they were fed certain foods.





The day wrapped up with horse rides and weighing cattle. Joreth was kind enough to give them horse rides. This is Mammy with Joreth.

2 comments: