There are definite rewards to teaching English as a second language in books that were never meant for that. I get to laugh quite a bit. Today I burst out laughing in one of my students faces (unintentionally of course).
As a Christian school, we pride ourselves on having the Bible at the base of everything we learn and know. We try to promote Bible knowledge, but sometimes when evaluation comes, I’m afraid we are found terribly wanting.
My student was a bit confused about what Anno Domini meant He had to use AD in a sentence because he was learning acronyms. All that he knew was that AD was supposed to be the same as “after Christ” for a reason he couldn’t understand.
This was his sentence:
“AD was born God created light.”
Naturally I was a bit confused seeing that even substituting “After Christ” for AD didn’t make any sense, I wasn’t sure what he was trying to communicate.
Me
“Okay, so you were just trying to use “after Christ” in the sentence, but what are you trying to say here.”
Him
“After Christ is born God created light.”
Me
“But light was created before Christ was born. Christ was born much later. Light was at Creation.”
Him
“Oh, he was born with the water and the fishes.”
Me
Laughing
Me
“No, he was born much later as a man, but he always existed.”
Needless to say, we didn’t really get anywhere. I dread the day I need to explain the Trinity. He can’t understand how Christ always was and yet was born thousands of years after the world was created…but then again, neither can I.
That is great. Loved it!
ReplyDelete