Thursday, December 15, 2011

The last week...

Well, I promised a post...several actually and so this will be the first. It won't be long because it might just sound like a freshman talking about his class load. I don't want that. It has been busy, but it is busy for everyone, everywhere at this time of year and I don't want to bore you.

Those of you reading in the US may or may not know that school here works a little differently than in the States. The school year just ended for us; it runs January to December. So, that made for a lot of finishing up with scores, awards, transfers, etc. I fortunately didn't have the brunt of the paperwork side of it (that was Philip), but there was still plenty to do.

We were preparing for the end of the year program which had in it, three plays written by my class. There was a lot of practicing that needed to be done, etc.

But, before all of that could come to fruition, we had the end of the year field trip for all the students who finished enough work. Quite amazingly, they want to sleep over at the school for that. So, following the school day, the students who earned the privilege, simply stayed.

This included a "slippy-slide" made from the sides of a conference tent. This added an element of danger since there were rivets and rings to cut yourself on. There was a bit of blood, but nothing serious.

Marco, one of my students who lives in town, rode his horse to the school and gave the other students rides. The general consensus was, based upon the facial expression, joy and abject terror.

Some of the students have more coordination and movement in their toes than I have in my entire body.

We made a little fire for marshmallows and for added stress for the teachers. Every small boy is a firebug. The girls slept in one of the classrooms and we gentlemen, slept inside the conference tent on the ground. That was a lot more fun at 13 than it is 13 years later. Some had a little trouble waking up I think.

We had a lot of fun in the end. A few days later was the end of year program and awards. The students did incredibly well on their plays and I was very proud of them. The next day, we came back to the school to clean up and I headed home to continue the next adventure and next post...

If you would like to see more pictures, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment