Tuesday, January 11, 2011

#itsthe011son...

I suppose this should be the post where I lay bare my plans for the New Year and all my supposed resolutions. The fact is, I have never really been one to make that many resolutions, if any, but I think more than most this year has given me pause.

I actually fell asleep before the changing of the guard between 2010 and 2011. Delani woke me up on the couch about a quarter after midnight and I wearily walked to my room and went to sleep. It was the next morning that the beauty of the new year really sank in. It's like a clean slate, a new beginning. Yes, I know all the various cliches are rather trite, but I think amidst all the verbiage, there is some truth; we all get a second chance with the new year.

I made a mess of the last year and where it went I cannot really say. I have been blessed I know beyond a doubt. I have seen sunsets and sunrises to make your heart ache. I have seen mountain views and deep snow drifts and stormy seas. I've made new friends, traveled, drank good coffee, listened to beautiful music, said goodbyes, found grey hairs and come to the slow realization that thirty is much closer than I used to think. I have so many beautiful memories, painful regrets and faithful nudges from the Holy Spirit this year and I am truly blessed.

So, back to the resolutions, or lack thereof; I suppose I have a few. To fear less. To grow in my walk with Christ. To be thankful everyday to Christ for not giving up on me when I had given up on Him this past year. To read more. To read better quality. To watch fewer movies and have more conversations. To take more pictures of the ones I love. To not wish I was anywhere but where I am and in the company of those I'm with. To place others before myself. To learn to be the kind of man that my father is; a good husband, a wonderful father, a faithful friend and a fearless adventurer who takes to the skies nearly everyday.

So, goodnight and a happy New Year to all of you.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post Jeremy. Especially the part about dad.

    ReplyDelete