I think I was wrong. I don't think the windows are for others to see the soul. Rather, everything that we see, dwell on, choose to look at, etc., has direct access to our souls. What we choose to see through those windows determines the direction and condition of our souls.
I think maybe everyone else already knew that and somehow I had this poetic idea of reading people's deepest hopes and fears. I think I could have saved myself some trouble in life by realizing the reality of that statement a bit sooner.
Mr. Howard, I agree with you when you say that what we expose ourselves to shapes a part of our soul, but I can not agree with you fully beyond that. When I look someone in the eyes I see so much. Pain, exuberance, disappointment, dishonesty...so many moments in one glance. Maybe it's a woman's intuition or the feminine side of God's creation but I believe it is possible to read someone through their eyes. I fully believe character and soul can be seen through the eyes, but this is just my own opinion as seen through my own eyes and experience.
ReplyDeleteDon't give up your "poetic" ideas so hastily. God made us spiritual beings, and part of the spiritual and human experience is connection. When we see someone eye to eye we make a connection that can't be broken until the eyes divert. You may not agree with me, but a conversation without eye contact is only half a conversation at best. I see that as a connection from one soul to another. I may be far off base in your mind, but think about it and maybe you will agree with at least one point I am trying to get across.