Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Oops...missed one

Shakespeare:The World as Stage by Bill Bryson


Have you ever wanted to know what a great writer like Shakespeare ate, what he thought, how he dressed, what he did in his spare time? Don't read this book. There are plenty of unscrupulous authors who have written some great fiction works on the life of Shakespeare. Bryson does the opposite. Thoroughly researched (as far as his life can be), this book basically tells you everything you cannot know about Shakespeare's life. So, the next time someone says, "Did you know..."; as far as Shakespeare is concerned, there is a pretty good chance it is nonsense. There is simply too much speculation for comfortable assertions. I suppose this is why this book is relatively short. I really enjoyed this book. I always enjoy Bryson's direct and to-the-point style as well as his interjections of dry humor. I give it two thumbs up.

Study Question:
Siskel and Ebert used to say, "Two thumbs way up!" if they thought a film was really good. Have you ever seen anyone try this?

Try it in front of the mirror. Do you look like a moron? Explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment