Friday, October 21, 2011

A rambling update...

I thought something on the lighter side of life wouldn't hurt after the last post. I thought perhaps an amalgam of the last few days or weeks here in Africa. My parents came as my father does every year to visit the mission and my mother was able to come along as well. It was wonderful to be with my parents again. As usual, though, I took very few pictures and if you would like to see cute candids of us on the porch or perhaps drinking coffee while downing unhealthy amounts of chocolate at our favorite little oasis, Living Life; then you will have to subpoena the records from my parents camera. I am terrible at hauling my giant Canon to such events.
Here is a picture of my parents and Delani plotting out our future in what will hopefully (a few dollars and hours of toil later) be the future mission residents of Mr. and Mrs. Howard (not my parents, if you get what I mean).


That's us if anyone is particularly slow today.


My parents were able to bring several things of mine that I had been wanting them to bring. In fact, as I type I am kicking myself for not being like my sister over there in Korea who always takes all these great photos of everything she does. I could have had a picture of the back of my Rav-4 in the Johannesburg airport, stuffed to the rafters with suitcases that largely held my junk. Anyways, I was able to get my Bose stereo as well as several books that I had been longing for. I also got M&Ms and chocolate chip cookies (you just gotta love moms).

We attended an in-service training session with Dr. McElwain that was very inspiring and helpful. The subject was, Jesus as the Master Teacher.


My Dad and Dr. McElwain had a pastor's retreat that weekend, but I stayed behind to have a chance to visit with my mom. I was also looking after and feeding S.W.'s cattle that weekend with Joreth while he was away and I woke up Saturday morning to have a restful day with my mom. I fed the cows and hopped on the horse to go see the cows down below. When I did I saw that a fire that had been put out the night before, had flared back up. I turned the horse there, tied her off and crossed the creek and tried to put out the flames with my shirt, but they had already gone from fledgling to full-blown. So, I spent the majority of my Saturday, not visiting with my mom, but fighting a fire on the side of this little plateau. A bit of dehydration and one massive headache later and I was able to visit a bit.


And this is just a great picture of Bok.


Today, we climbed the mountain behind the school for PE. I like this shot. I will try and put more up on my photo blog. Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I have been fighting back feelings of jealousy that you got to have mom and dad instead of me! :) I will see them at Christmas, though I am so sad you will not be there. It just won't be the same. I loved the randomness of it all. I am severely behind on my blog as well but my research papers are taking precedence. Only because I waited until the last possible minute to write them. As you can see, Im taking a much needed break for my sanity :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a glorious place the Lord has for you! I pray that He will richly bless you (and your soon to be wife. I really enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete