Tuesday, May 17, 2011

when it rains it pours...

I wrote nearly a month ago and it seems life here has taken on an odd cyclical quality. I will not say it has anything to do with karma, but there is a continuity to the fact that the late summer rains have continued into winter, against all odds. Last week we were treated to three days of nearly unbroken, soft rains that fell with seemingly Biblical results. The lower fields of the farm lie under water and a horse sinks to the knees as you ride. Roads were nearly impassable and seemed to change everyday, adding novelty to every morning drive. Today has been clear and we hope the precedent to the days to come.

Despite the rains, winter is here and morning finds us hunched in coats and breathing clouds into the dawn. The children complain of the cold, even though it is all they've ever known and they know it isn't about to change. In their defense, it is very cold here in the Free State and our particular classroom feels (literally) like stepping into the walk-in fridges at the Schmul Center in Hobe Sound, FL. Fortunately, the sun quickly warms the room to an almost uncomfortable temperature. It seems that all things in Africa are linked to nature, including our thermostat.

I am enjoying teaching. This term has had its particular challenges in that the South African government decided to give about a quarter or more of it away to holidays. If a holiday should be so unfortunate as to fall on a Saturday or Sunday, which of course they already have off of work, they move it to a Monday and give the day off. This makes getting any progress done, rather difficult. I have seen remarkable improvements in some of the students I was most worried about and I give God the praise. He has been giving me wisdom where I need (everywhere) and patience that I didn't have in myself.

I know this is hardly an adequate blog post, but it is hurried at the end of a day of school and I really don't have the time. Perhaps I'll write more soon. Thanks to all who continue to read and if any of you happen to be at Hobe Sound and happen to be seniors, like my cousin Doug Wiseman, Congratulations! Also a big Congratulations to Chris Shillington, Hannah Stence, Lamont (I hope I got that right), Bryan, Katherine, Joe and Andrew. If I left anyone out I am very sorry. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Miss you around these parts, and still think and pray for you often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, Best wishes from South America to Africa. My family and I were happy to find your blog. We will bookmark it and will be checking back. I'll be adding you to my prayer list too. Keep up the great work and keep your eyes on Jesus.
    Yours for Christ and holy hearts,
    Phillip and family

    ReplyDelete