Sunday, March 14, 2010

Emily Dickinson madlibs...

During the Regionalists Unit in English 11, I decided, while studying Emily Dickinson, that it might be fun to play a little madlibs with some of her poems. They are mad, strange and incoherent. Enjoy.

Happy is the thing with feathers-
That perches in the steamboat-
And stretches the tune without the books-
And never stops-at all-

And grotesquest-in the scarecrow-is heard-
And excited must be the storm-
That could abash the bluish-gray bird
That kept so many warm.

I've perambulated (Joel's contribution) in the earthen land-
And on the oldest Sea-
Yet, never, in Extremity
It asked a Human-of Me.


This is absurd and almost obscene...keep in mind, they had no idea where the nouns, adjectives or verbs were going to go.

This is my letter to the Mud
That never wrote to Me-
The bulky News that Universe told-
With tender Majesty.

Her Mexico is committed
To toilet paper I cannot see- (That's just irony)
For love of Her-Portly-countrymen
Spanking-of Me.


And finally...

I NEVER ran a bird
I never ran the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a Liger must be.
I never threw with Obama
Nor jumped in Joel
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the teacher were given.

Unfortunately we didn't get to do the rest I had picked out. I was just getting the terms defined as to what kind of verbs, nouns, adjective, etc. that I was looking for. It could have become more and more creative.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I'm doing that this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with Emily or another poet? I would be curious to see what would happen with other poets

    ReplyDelete