Sunday, February 7, 2010

haiti and my dad...

My mother pointed something out to me at dinner the other night. My mother sometimes does this and I have to thank her for it really. She will compliment me on my blog and what I have written and then comes “the clause.” The motherly critique, and in this case, as in most, she was dead on.

“You forgot to thank your Dad.”

So I did. I would like to say there are reasons, but when one makes such a glaring omission, none of them really seem to stand up to any scrutiny. A day or two before Dad got there, I was trying to run the show on my own, with Mike as my runner. No help. I thought, the MAF guys are too busy and I can’t ask them. They quickly realized that it was not working for me to do it alone and jumped in and helped me out on top of all of their own work.

So, when Dad came, that part of the rodeo had already calmed down and he simply slipped right into a place one of the MAF guys had been filling. It was seamless. I didn’t have to worry about him being there, or even think too much about it. Dad was crowd control. He took the bookings or reservations which was one of the more difficult parts of the job and one I didn’t particularly like…dealing with people; desperate people.

I can’t say that by forgetting to thank Dad in my wrap-up post that I was paying him a compliment. There is something to be said for someone who does a job well enough that they aren’t noticed because they don’t require constant praise, but there is also something to ‘giving honor to whom honor is due.’

I don’t think Dad needs me to thank him. Like myself, the greatest sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from that job were the handshakes and smiles you got from grateful people. I don’t know too many people who are privileged to do mission work side by side with their Dad and enjoy doing it.

So, thanks Dad for raising me to honor God and to love the work that I grew up watching you do. Thanks for never making missions or deprivation of ‘the finer things in life’ to be a drudgery. Thanks most of all for living a godly example before me. It was a privilege to work with you. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment